Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
v. side·stepped, side·step·ping, side·steps
1. To step aside: sidestepped to make way for the runner.
2. To dodge an issue or a responsibility.
1. To step out of the way of.
2. To evade; skirt: sidestep a difficult question.
1. A step to one side.
2. An evasion of an issue or responsibility.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Skiing) skiing the act of ascending or descending by facing sideways and lifting each ski alternately
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014