silo(redirected from silo gas)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. si·los
a. A usually tall cylindrical structure, typically next to a barn, in which silage is produced and stored.
b. Any of several other structures or containers used for the same purpose, such as a covered trench or a polyethylene bag.
2. An underground shelter for a missile, usually equipped to launch the missile or to raise it into a launching position.
tr.v. si·loed, si·lo·ing, si·los
To store in a silo.
n, pl -los
1. (Agriculture) a pit, trench, horizontal container, or tower, often cylindrical in shape, in which silage is made and stored
2. (Military) a strengthened underground position in which missile systems are sited for protection against attack
[C19: from Spanish, perhaps from Celtic]
n., pl. -los, n.
1. a structure, typically cylindrical, in which fodder or forage is kept.
2. a pit or underground space for storing grain, greens, etc.
3. an underground installation constructed of concrete and steel, designed to house a ballistic missile.v.t.
4. to put into or preserve in a silo.
[1825–35; < Sp]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||silo - a cylindrical tower used for storing silage|
tower - a structure taller than its diameter; can stand alone or be attached to a larger building
|2.||silo - military installation consisting of an underground structure where ballistic missiles can be stored and fired|
military installation - any facility servicing military forces