Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A sleeveless, tight-fitting undershirt or athletic shirt.
2. A tight-fitting, one-piece garment consisting of shorts and a sleeveless top with a collar that sometimes dips low on the chest, worn in wrestling.
3. Physics A multiplet with a single member.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) chiefly Brit and Austral a man's sleeveless undergarment covering the body from the shoulders to the hips
2. (Clothing & Fashion) Austral a similar sleeveless garment worn as outerwear. Also called (in Britain): vest
3. (Clothing & Fashion) chiefly Brit a garment worn with shorts by athletes, boxers, etc
4. NZ a black woollen outer garment worn by bushmen
5. (General Physics) physics a multiplet that has only one member
6. (Chemistry) chem a chemical bond consisting of one electron
[C18: from single, on the model of doublet]
1. a loose-fitting, sleeveless athletic jersey.
2. Chiefly Brit. a man's undershirt.
3. a single unit; an unpaired or separate item.
[1740–50; on the model of doublet]