Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A sleeveless, tight-fitting undershirt or athletic shirt.
2. A tight-fitting, one-piece garment consisting of shorts and a sleeveless top with a collar that sometimes dips low on the chest, worn in wrestling.
3. Physics A multiplet with a single member.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) chiefly Brit and Austral a man's sleeveless undergarment covering the body from the shoulders to the hips
2. (Clothing & Fashion) Austral a similar sleeveless garment worn as outerwear. Also called (in Britain): vest
3. (Clothing & Fashion) chiefly Brit a garment worn with shorts by athletes, boxers, etc
4. NZ a black woollen outer garment worn by bushmen
5. (General Physics) physics a multiplet that has only one member
6. (Chemistry) chem a chemical bond consisting of one electron
[C18: from single, on the model of doublet]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a loose-fitting, sleeveless athletic jersey.
2. Chiefly Brit. a man's undershirt.
3. a single unit; an unpaired or separate item.
[1740–50; on the model of doublet]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
singlet[ˈsɪŋglɪt] n (British)
(= undershirt) → marcel m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
singlet[ˈsɪŋglɪt] n (esp Brit) → canottiera
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995