sinker(redirected from sinker ball)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. One that sinks, as a weight used for sinking fishing lines or nets.
2. Slang A doughnut.
3. Baseball A sinkerball.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Angling) a weight attached to a fishing line, net, etc, to cause it to sink in water
2. (Civil Engineering) a person who sinks shafts, etc
3. (Cookery) US an informal word for doughnut
4. hook, line, and sinker See hook18
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person or thing that sinks.
2. a weight, as of lead, for sinking a fishing line or net below the surface of the water.
3. Slang. a doughnut.
4. (in baseball) a pitched ball that curves downward sharply as it reaches the plate.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
In naval mine warfare, a heavy weight to which a buoyant mine is moored. The sinker generally houses the mooring rope drum and depth-setting mechanism and for mines laid by ships, it also serves as a launching trolley.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sinker - a small ring-shaped friedcake |
friedcake - small cake in the form of a ring or twist or ball or strip fried in deep fat
raised doughnut - a doughnut made light with yeast rather than baking powder
|2.||sinker - a weight that sinks (as to hold nets or fishing lines under water)|
weight - an artifact that is heavy
|3.||sinker - a pitch that curves downward rapidly as it approaches the plate|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007