Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Characterized by many curves or turns; winding: a sinuous stream.
2. Characterized by supple and lithe movements: the sinuous grace of a dancer.
3. Sinuate: a sinuous leaf.
[From Latin sinuōsus, from sinus, curve.]
1. full of turns or curves; intricate
2. devious; not straightforward
3. supple; lithe
[C16: from Latin sinuōsus winding, from sinus a curve]
sin•u•ous(ˈsɪn yu əs)
1. having many curves or turns; winding: a sinuous path.
2. characterized by graceful curving motions: a sinuous dance.
3. Bot. sinuate, as a leaf.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||sinuous - curved or curving in and out; "wiggly lines"|
1. supple, flexible, lithe, graceful, agile, slinky, limber, pliable, pliant, lissom(e), loose-jointed, loose-limbed the sinuous approach of a snake
[movement, walk, grace] → sinueux/euse
[road, river] → sinueux/euse
sinuous[ˈsɪnjʊəs] adj (course, route) → sinuoso/a, tortuoso/a; (dance, movement) → flessuoso/a
a. sinuoso-a, ondulado-a.