Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The state or relationship of being a sister or sisters.
2. The quality of being sisterly.
3. A society, especially a religious society, of women.
4. Association or unification of women in a common cause.
1. the state of being related as a sister or sisters
2. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a religious body or society of sisters, esp a community, order, or congregation of nuns
3. (Sociology) the bond between women who support the Women's Movement
1. the state of being a sister.
2. a group of nuns or other females bound by religious ties.
3. an organization of women with a common interest, as for social or charitable purposes.
4. congenial relationship among women.
5. the community or network of women who support feminism.
Sisterhoodan association of women, or things which are considered to be feminine.
Examples: sisterhood of canting females, 1718; of churches, 1883; of Holy nuns, 1687; of planets (seven) 1827.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sisterhood - the kinship relation between a female offspring and the siblings|
|2.||sisterhood - an association or society of women who are linked together by a common religion or trade or interest|
association - a formal organization of people or groups of people; "he joined the Modern Language Association"
|3.||sisterhood - a religious society of women who live together as sisters (especially an order of nuns)|
Sister - (Roman Catholic Church) a title given to a nun (and used as a form of address); "the Sisters taught her to love God"
Beguine - (Roman Catholic Church) a member of a lay sisterhood (one of several founded in the Netherlands in the 12th and 13th centuries); though not taking religious vows the sisters followed an austere life