Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to skates: Inline skates
1. An ice skate, roller skate, or inline skate.
2. Informal A skateboard.
3. The act or a period of skating or skateboarding: went for a skate.
intr.v. skat·ed, skat·ing, skates
1. To glide or move along on skates.
2. To move or progress in a smooth, easy, or unconcerned manner: "resting on his past laurels, skating along on his reputation" (Tami Hoag).
3. To ride or perform tricks on a skateboard.
[From Dutch schaats, stilt, skate (taken as pl.), from Middle Dutch schaetse, from Old North French escache, stilt, perhaps of Germanic origin.]
Any of various cartilaginous fishes chiefly of the family Rajidae, having a flattened body with greatly expanded pectoral fins that extend around the head, and laying eggs enclosed in hard cases.
[Middle English scate, from Old Norse skata.]
1. A fellow; a person.
2. A decrepit horse; a nag.
[Perhaps alteration of dialectal skite, contemptible person; see blatherskite.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
giày trượt băng
skates→ مُزَّلِق brusle skøjter Schlittschuhe τροχοπέδιλα patines luistimet patins klizaljke pattini スケート靴 스케이트 schaatsen skøyter łyżwy patins коньки skridskor รองเท้าสเก็ต patenler giày trượt băng 溜冰鞋
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
Collins Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009