Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to skivvy: Skeevy
n, pl -vies
chiefly often derogatory Brit a servant, esp a female, who does menial work of all kinds; drudge
vb, -vies, -vying or -vied
(intr) Brit to work as a skivvy
[C20: of unknown origin]
n, pl -vies
1. (Clothing & Fashion) slang chiefly US a man's T-shirt or vest
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (plural) slang chiefly US men's underwear
3. (Clothing & Fashion) Austral and NZ a garment resembling a sweater with long sleeves and a polo neck, usually made of stretch cotton or cotton and polyester and worn by either sex
[of unknown origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -vies.
1. Also called skiv′vy shirt`. a knit shirt with a small placket at the neck.
2. skivvies, underwear consisting of this or a T-shirt and shorts.
[1925–30; orig. obscure]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: skivvied
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||skivvy - a female domestic servant who does all kinds of menial work|
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (Brit inf) → Dienstmagd f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
skivvy[ˈskɪvɪ] n (esp Brit) (fam, pej) → sguattera
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995