Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Any of several small omnivorous mammals of the Americas belonging to the family Mephitidae, having a bushy tail and black fur with white markings and ejecting a foul-smelling oily liquid from glands near the anus when threatened. Also called polecat.
b. The glossy black and white fur of any of these mammals.
2. Slang A person regarded as obnoxious or despicable.
3. Slang Marijuana.
tr.v. skunked, skunk·ing, skunks Slang
1. To spray with the foul-smelling liquid of a skunk: The dog got skunked.
a. To defeat overwhelmingly, especially by keeping from scoring.
b. To cause to have no success trying to catch fish. Used in the passive.
a. To cheat (someone).
b. To fail to pay (an amount due).
[Of Massachusett origin, ultimately from Proto-Algonquian *šeka·kwa : *šek-, urine + *-a·kw, fox, bushy-tailed animal.]
n, pl skunks or skunk
1. (Animals) any of various American musteline mammals of the subfamily Mephitinae, esp Mephitis mephitis (striped skunk), typically having a black and white coat and bushy tail: they eject an unpleasant-smelling fluid from the anal gland when attacked
2. informal a despicable person
3. (Recreational Drugs) slang a strain of cannabis smoked for its exceptionally powerful psychoactive properties
(tr) slang US and Canadian to defeat overwhelmingly in a game
[C17: from Algonquian; compare Abnaki segākw skunk]
n., pl. skunks, (esp. collectively) skunk, n.
1. any of several bushy-tailed New World members of the weasel family, having a black coat with white markings and spraying a fetid defensive fluid.
2. a thoroughly contemptible person.v.t.
3. to defeat thoroughly in a game, esp. to keep scoreless.
4. to cheat; swindle (usu. fol. by out).Slang.
[1625–35, Amer.; < Algonquian]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||skunk - a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible; "only a rotter would do that"; "kill the rat"; "throw the bum out"; "you cowardly little pukes!"; "the British call a contemptible person a `git'"|
|2.||skunk - a defeat in a game where one side fails to score|
|3.||skunk - street names for marijuana|
|4.||skunk - American musteline mammal typically ejecting an intensely malodorous fluid when startled; in some classifications put in a separate subfamily Mephitinae|
badger skunk, Conepatus leuconotus, hognosed skunk, hog-nosed skunk, rooter skunk - large naked-muzzled skunk with white back and tail; of southwestern North America and Mexico
|Verb||1.||skunk - defeat by a lurch|
a small North American animal which defends itself by squirting out an unpleasant-smelling liquid. muishond ظَرِبان скункс gambá skunk das Stinktier skunk; stinkdyr κουνάβιmofeta skunk راسو haisunäätä mouffetteבואש एक काला सफेद अमेरिकी जानवर tvor bűzös borz segung skunkur, þefdÿr moffetta スカンク 스컹크 skunkas skunkss skunk bunzingstinkdyr, skunk skunks سرابي، يوډول امريكايي پيش پړانګ وزمه ژوى چې سخت ناوړه بوى لري gambá sconcs скунс tchor skunk tvor skunk สัตว์สีดำสลับขาวพ่นกลิ่นเหม็นเมื่อตกใจ kokarca 臭鼬 скунс امریکی نیولا chồn hôi 臭鼬