Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various aircraft or schemes for lifting and transporting heavy objects from a position in the air or in space, usually by means of a long cable.
2. Informal Something that is depended on despite seeming impossible or rationally inexplicable: "We should not look for skyhooks, but only for toeholds" (Richard Rorty).
3. Basketball A hook shot that is released so high it is nearly impossible to block.
1. (Aeronautics) aeronautics a hook used to lift objects into the air from an aircraft or aerial cableway
2. (Mountaineering) mountaineering a hook that provides a hold on small protrusions or slippery surfaces
3. (Extreme Sports) parachuting a hook for extracting a reserve parachute
4. (Extreme Sports) a hook used as a releasable fastener for a skateboard
1. a fanciful hook imagined to be suspended in the air.
2. any of various lifting devices, as one hung from a helicopter, for hoisting heavy loads over a distance.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||skyhook - helicopter carrying a reel of steel cable that can be used to lift and transport heavy objects|
|2.||skyhook - a hook that is imagined to be suspended from the sky|
hook - a curved or bent implement for suspending or pulling something