slag(redirected from slagged)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to slagged: slagged off
1. The vitreous mass left as a residue by the smelting of metallic ore.
2. See scoria.
tr. & intr.v. slagged, slag·ging, slags
To change into or form slag.
[Low German slagge, from Middle Low German.]
1. (Metallurgy) Also called: cinder the fused material formed during the smelting or refining of metals by combining the flux with gangue, impurities in the metal, etc. It usually consists of a mixture of silicates with calcium, phosphorus, sulphur, etc. See also basic slag
2. (Geological Science) a mass of rough fragments of pyroclastic rock and cinders derived from a volcanic eruption; scoria
3. (Mining & Quarrying) a mixture of shale, clay, coal dust, and other mineral waste produced during coal mining
4. slang Brit a coarse or dissipated girl or woman
vb, slags, slagging or slagged
(tr) slang (usually foll by off) Brit to abuse (someone) verbally
[C16: from Middle Low German slagge, perhaps from slagen to slay]
n., v. slagged, slag•ging. n.
1. the more or less completely fused and vitrified matter separated during the reduction of a metal from its ore.v.t.
2. to convert into slag.v.i.
3. to form slag.
[1545–55; < Middle Low German slagge]
slag′gy, adj. -gi•er, -gi•est.
Past participle: slagged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||slag - the scum formed by oxidation at the surface of molten metals|
scum - a film of impurities or vegetation that can form on the surface of a liquid
basic slag - slag produced in making steel; low in silica but having large amounts of calcium phosphate; useful as fertilizer
|Verb||1.||slag - convert into slag|
convert - change the nature, purpose, or function of something; "convert lead into gold"; "convert hotels into jails"; "convert slaves to laborers"
noun (Brit. slang) tart (informal), scrubber (Brit. & Austral. slang), whore, pro (slang), brass (slang), prostitute, hooker (U.S. slang), hustler (U.S. & Canad. slang), moll (slang), call girl, courtesan, working girl (facetious slang), harlot, slapper (Brit. informal), streetwalker, camp follower, loose woman, fallen woman, strumpet, trollop, white slave, bawd (archaic), cocotte, fille de joie (French) She became a slag, a tart, a hustler, a lost girl.