Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. A natural periodic state of rest for the mind and body, in which the eyes usually close and consciousness is completely or partially lost, so that there is a decrease in bodily movement and responsiveness to external stimuli. During sleep the brain in humans and other mammals undergoes a characteristic cycle of brain-wave activity that includes intervals of dreaming.
b. A period of this form of rest.
c. A state of inactivity resembling or suggesting sleep; unconsciousness, dormancy, hibernation, or death.
d. A state in which a computer shuts off or reduces power to its peripherals (such as the display or memory) in order to save energy during periods of inactivity.
2. Botany The folding together of leaflets or petals at night or in the absence of light.
3. A crust of dried tears or mucus normally forming around the inner rim of the eye during sleep.
v. slept (slĕpt), sleep·ing, sleeps
1. To be in the state of sleep or to fall asleep.
2. To be in a condition resembling sleep.
1. To pass or get rid of by sleeping: slept away the day; went home to sleep off the headache.
2. To provide sleeping accommodations for: This tent sleeps three comfortably.
sleep around Informal
To have sexual relations with a number of different partners in casual encounters.
1. To sleep at one's place of employment: a butler and a chauffeur who sleep in.
a. To oversleep: I missed the morning train because I slept in.
b. To sleep late on purpose: After this week's work, I will sleep in on Saturday.
To think about (something) overnight before deciding.
1. To sleep at one's own home, not at one's place of employment.
2. To sleep away from one's home.
To spend the night as a guest in another's home.
To have sexual relations.
To have sexual relations with.
sleep like a log/rock
To sleep very deeply.
(Physiology) (intr, preposition) to have sexual intercourse and (usually) spend the night with. Also: sleep together
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||sleep with - have sexual intercourse with; "This student sleeps with everyone in her dorm"; "Adam knew Eve"; "Were you ever intimate with this man?"|
bonk, do it, eff, fuck, get it on, get laid, have a go at it, have intercourse, have it away, have it off, have sex, be intimate, lie with, make love, roll in the hay, screw, sleep together, hump, jazz, love, bed, bang, make out, know
neck, make out - kiss, embrace, or fondle with sexual passion; "The couple were necking in the back seat of the car"
To sleep longer than intended:
vi +prep obj → schlafen mit