Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An elm (Ulmus rubra syn. U. fulva) of eastern North America, having hard wood and mucilaginous, aromatic inner bark.
2. The powdered inner bark of this tree, used medicinally.
nAlso called: red elm
1. (Plants) a tree, Ulmus fulva, of E North America, having oblong serrated leaves, notched winged fruits, and a mucilaginous inner bark
2. (Pharmacology) the bark of this tree, used medicinally as a demulcent
1. a North American elm, Ulmus rubra, having a mucilaginous inner bark.
2. this bark, used as a demulcent.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||slippery elm - North American elm having rough leaves that are red when opening; yields a hard wood|
genus Ulmus, Ulmus - type genus of family Ulmaceae; deciduous trees having simple serrate leaves; widely distributed in temperate regions