Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to slotting: slotting machine
1. A narrow opening; a groove or slit: a slot for coins in a vending machine; a mail slot.
2. A gap between a main and auxiliary airfoil to provide space for airflow and facilitate the smooth passage of air over the wing.
a. An assigned place in a sequence or schedule: a new time slot for a TV program.
b. A position of employment in an organization or hierarchy.
4. Computers An expansion slot.
5. Informal A slot machine designed for gambling: lost $100 playing the slots.
a. Football A space or gap between an end and a tackle in an offensive line.
b. Sports An unmarked area in front of the goal between the face-off circles on an ice hockey rink.
tr.v. slot·ted, slot·ting, slots
1. To cut or make a slot or slots in.
2. To put into or assign to a slot.
[Middle English, hollow of the breastbone, from Old French esclot.]
The track or trail of a deer.
[Obsolete French esclot, horse's hoofprint, from Old French, perhaps from Old Norse slōdh, track.]