Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||smash up - damage or destroy as if by violence; "The teenager banged up the car of his mother"|
damage - inflict damage upon; "The snow damaged the roof"; "She damaged the car when she hit the tree"
1. To crack or split into two or more fragments by means of or as a result of force, a blow, or strain:
4. To deliver a powerful blow to suddenly and sharply:
bash, catch, clout, hit, knock, pop, slam, slog, slug, smite, sock, strike, swat, thwack, whack, wham, whop.
Idioms: let someone have it, sock it to someone.
5. To hit heavily and repeatedly with violent blows:
Idiom: rain blows on.
6. To cause the complete ruin or wreckage of:
bankrupt, break down, cross up, demolish, destroy, finish, ruin, shatter, sink, spoil, torpedo, undo, wash up, wrack, wreck.
Idiom: put the kibosh on.
4. Violent forcible contact between two or more things: