Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
adj. smok·i·er, smok·i·est
1. Emitting smoke in profuse volume: a smoky stove.
2. Mixed or filled with smoke: smoky corridors.
3. Resembling smoke: a smoky haze.
4. Discolored or soiled with or as if with smoke: "The smoky Sicilian afternoon sun tinged the green landscape with red" (Mario Puzo).
5. Tasting of smoke: smoky sausages.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.