snivel(redirected from snivellingly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
intr.v. sniv·eled, sniv·el·ing, sniv·els or sniv·elled or sniv·el·ling
1. To sniffle.
2. To complain or whine tearfully.
1. The act of sniffling or sniveling.
2. Nasal mucus.
[Middle English snivelen, from Old English *snyflan.]
vb, -els, -elling or -elled, -els, -eling or -eled
1. (intr) to sniffle as a sign of distress, esp contemptibly
2. to utter (something) tearfully; whine
3. (Physiology) (intr) to have a runny nose
an instance of snivelling
[C14 snivelen; related to Old English snyflung mucus, Dutch snuffelen to smell out, Old Norse snoppa snout]
ˈsniveller, ˈsniveler n
ˈsnivelling, ˈsniveling adj, n
ˈsnivelly, ˈsnively adj
v. -eled, -el•ing or (esp. Brit.) -elled, -el•ling, v.i.
1. to weep or cry with sniffling.
2. to affect a tearful state; whine.
3. to run at the nose; have a runny nose.
4. to draw up mucus audibly through the nose.v.t.
5. to utter with sniveling or sniffling.n.
6. weak, whining, or pretended weeping.
7. a light sniffle, as in weeping.
8. a hypocritical show of feeling.
9. mucus running from the nose.
[1275–1325; Middle English snyvelen; compare Old English snyflung (ger.), derivative of snofl mucus; c. Low German snüfeln]
sniv′el•er; esp. Brit., sniv′el•ler, n.
Past participle: snivelled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||snivel - whining in a tearful manner|
|2.||snivel - the act of breathing heavily through the nose (as when the nose is congested)|
|Verb||1.||snivel - talk in a tearful manner|
|2.||snivel - snuff up mucus through the nose|
|3.||snivel - cry or whine with snuffling; "Stop snivelling--you got yourself into this mess!"|