snooker(redirected from snookers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Pocket billiards played with 15 red balls and 6 balls of other colors.
tr.v. snook·ered, snook·er·ing, snook·ers
a. To lead (another) into a situation in which all possible choices are undesirable; trap.
b. To fool; dupe: "Snookered by a lot of malarkey about drilling costs, a Texas jury ... added $3 billion of punitive damages" (New Republic).
2. To leave one's opponent in the game of snooker unable to take a direct shot without striking a ball out of the required order.
1. (Billiards & Snooker) a game played on a billiard table with 15 red balls, six balls of other colours, and a white cue ball. The object is to pot the balls in a certain order
2. (Billiards & Snooker) a shot in which the cue ball is left in a position such that another ball blocks the object ball. The opponent is then usually forced to play the cue ball off a cushion
3. (Billiards & Snooker) to leave (an opponent) in an unfavourable position by playing a snooker
4. to place (someone) in a difficult situation
5. (often passive) to thwart; defeat
[C19: of unknown origin]
snook•er(ˈsnʊk ər, ˈsnu kər)
1. a variety of pool played with 15 red balls and 6 balls of other colors, in which a player must shoot one of the red balls into a pocket before shooting at one of the other balls.v.t.
2. Slang. to deceive.
[1885–90; orig. uncertain]
Past participle: snookered
A layout of balls in which the path from the cue ball to the object ball is blocked by one or more other balls.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||snooker - a form of pool played with 15 red balls and six balls of other colors and a cue ball|
snooker - leave one's opponent unable to take a direct shot
|Verb||1.||snooker - fool or dupe; "He was snookered by the con-man's smooth talk"|
|2.||snooker - leave one's opponent unable to take a direct shot|
snooker - a form of pool played with 15 red balls and six balls of other colors and a cue ball
play - participate in games or sport; "We played hockey all afternoon"; "play cards"; "Pele played for the Brazilian teams in many important matches"
Snooker and billiards termsbaize, ball, baulk, baulkline, black, blue, bouclée, break, bricole, bridge, brown, cannon, carom (chiefly U.S. & Canad), chalk, clearance, cue ball, cue extension, cue tip, cushion, D or d, double, draw, drop cannon, fluke, foul, frame, free ball, green, half-butt, hazard, headrail, in-off, jenny, kick, kiss, lag, long jenny, massé, maximum break or 147, miscue, nurse, nursery cannon, object ball, pink, plain ball, plant, pocket, pot, red, rest, safety, scratch, screw, short jenny, side or (U.S. & Canad.) English, snooker, spider, spot, spot ball, stun, top, triangle or (U.S. & Canad.) rack, white, Whitechapel, yellow
druh kulečníkové hrykulečník
biljarda spēles veids, snukers
bir tür bilardo oyunusnookersnuker
trò chơi bi-da
a kind of game played on a billiard-table with fifteen red balls and seven balls of other colours. Do you play snooker?; Let's have a game of snooker; (also adjective) a snooker match. snoeker نَوْع من البلياردو يُلْعَب بِكُرات مُلَوَّنَه билярд sinuca druh kulečníkové hry das Billardspiel snooker; snooker- μπιλιάρδοsnooker, billar ruso snuuker اسنوكر snooker (sorte de) jeu de billard סנוקר स्नूकर vrsta biljara sznúker (a biliárd egy fajtája) bilyar snóker (gioco di biliardo) 玉突きの一種 포켓 볼 angliškasis biliardas biljarda spēles veids, snukers snuker snookerbiljart en type biljard snooker اسنوکر sinuca snooker, joc de biliard снукер druh biliardovej hry vrsta biljarda snuker snooker สนุกเกอร์ bir tür bilardo oyunu, snuker 司諾克(撞球遊戲的一種) снукер بلیئرڈ کی طرح کا کھیل جس میں 15 سرخ اور 7 دوسرے رنگ کی گیندیں ہوتی ہیں trò chơi bi-da 司诺克（台球游戏的一种）