Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to snow line: wind
1. The lower altitudinal boundary of a snow-covered area, especially of one that is perennially covered, such as the snowcap of a mountain.
2. The fluctuating latitudinal boundaries around the polar regions marking the extent of snow cover.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Physical Geography) the altitudinal or latitudinal limit of permanent snow
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the line, as on mountains, above which there is perpetual snow.
2. the latitudinal line marking the limit of the fall of snow at sea level.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. The boundary marking the lowest altitude at which a given area, such as the top of a mountain, is always covered with snow.
2. The boundary marking the furthest extent around the polar regions at which there is snow cover. The polar snow lines vary with the seasons.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.