Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. often Social Security Abbr. SS A government program that provides economic assistance to persons faced with unemployment, disability, or agedness, financed by assessment of employers and employees.
2. The economic assistance provided by social security.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) public provision for the economic, and sometimes social, welfare of the aged, unemployed, etc, esp through pensions and other monetary assistance
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (often capitals) a government programme designed to provide such assistance
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (often caps.) a program of old age, unemployment, health, disability, and survivors' insurance maintained by the U.S. government through employer and employee payments.
2. any public program providing for economic security and social welfare.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A government program that provides money to the needy, such as the unemployed; the money that is provided.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Social Security - social welfare program in the U.S.; includes old-age and survivors insurance and some unemployment insurance and old-age assistance|
social insurance - government provision for unemployed, injured, or aged people; financed by contributions from employers and employees as well as by government revenue
old-age insurance - insurance paid to the elderly
survivors insurance - insurance paid to surviving spouses
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
an sinh xã hội
social securityn → previdenza sociale
to be on social security (fam) → ricevere sussidi dalla previdenza sociale
Department of Social Security (Brit) → Istituto di Previdenza Sociale
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
social security→ ضَمَانٌ اجْتِمَاعِيّ sociální zabezpečení socialhjælp Sozialhilfe κοινωνική ασφάλιση seguridad social sosiaaliturva sécurité sociale socijalno osiguranje previdenza sociale 社会保障 사회 보장 uitkering trygdesystem ubezpieczenie społeczne previdência social, segurança social социальное страхование social trygghet การประกันสังคม sosyal güvenlik an sinh xã hội 社会保障
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009