Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to solicitor general: Attorney General
n. pl. solicitors general
1. Solicitor General An officer of the US Department of Justice who is responsible for all cases appearing before the US Supreme Court involving the federal government as a party.
2. An attorney who is a public officer assisting a state attorney general in cases in which the state is a party, especially appellate and complex cases.
n, pl Solicitors General
1. (Law) (in Britain) the law officer of the Crown ranking next to the Attorney General (in Scotland to the Lord Advocate) and acting as his or her assistant
2. (Law) (in the US) the attorney appointed to represent the federal government before the Supreme Court
3. (Law) (in New Zealand) the government's chief lawyer: head of the Crown Law Office and prosecutor for the Crown
n., pl. solicitors general.
1. the chief legal officer in some states, charged with representing the state in suits affecting the public interest.
2. (caps.) the law officer of the U.S. government next below the Attorney General.
A lawyer who handles all appeals to the Supreme Court for the Department of Justice.