somatic(redirected from somatic cell count (SCC))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of, relating to, or affecting the body, especially as distinguished from a body part, the mind, or the environment; corporeal or physical.
2. Of or relating to the wall of the body cavity, especially as distinguished from the head, limbs, or viscera.
3. Of or relating to the portion of the vertebrate nervous system that regulates voluntary movement.
4. Of or relating to a somatic cell or the somatoplasm.
[French somatique, from Greek sōmatikos, from sōma, sōmat-, body; see soma1.]
1. (Biology) of or relating to the soma: somatic cells.
2. (Zoology) of or relating to an animal body or body wall as distinct from the viscera, limbs, and head
3. (Anatomy) of or relating to the human body as distinct from the mind: a somatic disease.
[C18: from Greek sōmatikos concerning the body, from sōma the body]
so•mat•ic(soʊˈmæt ɪk, sə-)
1. of the body; bodily; physical.
2. of or pertaining to the body walls, as distinguished from the inner organs.
3. of or pertaining to a somatic cell.
[1765–75; < Greek sōmatikós=sōmat-, s. of sôma body + -ikos -ic]
Relating to the body. ♦ The cells of the body with the exception of the reproductive cells (gametes) are known as somatic cells. See Note at mitosis.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||somatic - affecting or characteristic of the body as opposed to the mind or spirit; "bodily needs"; "a corporal defect"; "corporeal suffering"; "a somatic symptom or somatic illness"|
physical - involving the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit; "physical exercise"; "physical suffering"; "was sloppy about everything but her physical appearance"