somatic(redirected from somaticly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of, relating to, or affecting the body, especially as distinguished from a body part, the mind, or the environment; corporeal or physical.
2. Of or relating to the wall of the body cavity, especially as distinguished from the head, limbs, or viscera.
3. Of or relating to the portion of the vertebrate nervous system that regulates voluntary movement.
4. Of or relating to a somatic cell or the somatoplasm.
[French somatique, from Greek sōmatikos, from sōma, sōmat-, body; see soma1.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biology) of or relating to the soma: somatic cells.
2. (Zoology) of or relating to an animal body or body wall as distinct from the viscera, limbs, and head
3. (Anatomy) of or relating to the human body as distinct from the mind: a somatic disease.
[C18: from Greek sōmatikos concerning the body, from sōma the body]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
so•mat•ic(soʊˈmæt ɪk, sə-)
1. of the body; bodily; physical.
2. of or pertaining to the body walls, as distinguished from the inner organs.
3. of or pertaining to a somatic cell.
[1765–75; < Greek sōmatikós=sōmat-, s. of sôma body + -ikos -ic]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Relating to the body. ♦ The cells of the body with the exception of the reproductive cells (gametes) are known as somatic cells. See Note at mitosis.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||somatic - affecting or characteristic of the body as opposed to the mind or spirit; "bodily needs"; "a corporal defect"; "corporeal suffering"; "a somatic symptom or somatic illness"|
physical - involving the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit; "physical exercise"; "physical suffering"; "was sloppy about everything but her physical appearance"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
somatic[səʊˈmætɪk] ADJ → somático
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → somatisch
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
a. somático-a, rel. al cuerpo.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.