Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The southerly component of the distance traveled between two positions.
2. Progress toward the south.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Navigation) nautical movement, deviation, or distance covered in a southerly direction
2. (Astronomy) astronomy a south or negative declination
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. movement or deviation toward the south.
2. distance due south made by a vessel.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.