Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Abbr. SW The direction or point on the mariner's compass halfway between due south and due west, or 135° west of due north.
2. An area or region lying in the southwest.
3. Southwest A region of the southwest United States generally including New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, California, and Nevada and sometimes Utah and Colorado.
1. To, toward, of, facing, or in the southwest.
2. Originating in or coming from the southwest: a southwest wind.
In, from, or toward the southwest.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Southwestern - a dialect of Middle English|
Middle English - English from about 1100 to 1450
|Adj.||1.||southwestern - situated in or oriented toward the southwest|
south - situated in or facing or moving toward or coming from the south; "the south entrance"
|2.||southwestern - of a region of the United States generally including New Mexico; Arizona; Texas; California; and sometimes Nevada; Utah; Colorado|
western - of or characteristic of regions of the United States west of the Mississippi River; "a Western ranch"
southwestern[saʊθˈwestən] ADJ → sudoeste, suroeste, del sudoeste, del suroeste
the southwestern part of the island → la parte sudoeste or suroeste de la isla
in southwestern Spain → en el sudoeste or suroeste de España, al sudoeste or suroeste de España
the southwestern coast → la costa sudoeste or suroeste or suroccidental