Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Clothing & Fashion) informal socks
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. socks or, for 1, sometimes sox.
1. a short stocking usu. reaching to the calf or just above the ankle.
2. a lightweight shoe worn by ancient Greek and Roman comic actors.
3. comic writing for the theater; comedy or comic drama. Compare buskin (def. 3).v.t.
4. sock away, to put into savings or reserve.
5. sock in, to close up (an airport) or ground (an aircraft).
[before 900; Middle English socke, Old English socc « Latin soccus slipper]
1. to strike or hit hard.n.
2. a hard blow.adj.
[1690–1700; orig. uncertain]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.