Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A vehicle or compartment of a vehicle designed to transport, protect, and support humans or animals in outer space or at very high altitudes in Earth's atmosphere.
(Astronautics) a vehicle, sometimes carrying people or animals, designed to obtain scientific information from space, planets, etc, and be recovered on returning to earth
cap•sule(ˈkæp səl, -sul, -syul)
n., v. -suled, -sul•ing,
1. a gelatinous case enclosing a dose of medicine.
a. a membranous sac or integument of the body.
b. either of two strata of white matter in the cerebrum.
c. the sporangium of various spore-producing organisms, as ferns, mosses, algae, and fungi.
3. a dry dehiscent fruit, composed of two or more carpels.
4. a small case, envelope, or covering.
5. Also called space capsule. a sealed cabin, container, or vehicle in which a person or animal can ride in flight in space or at very high altitudes within the earth's atmosphere.
6. a similar cabin in a military aircraft, which can be ejected in an emergency.
7. a concise report; brief outline.v.t.
8. to furnish with or enclose in or as if in a capsule; encapsulate.
9. to capsulize.adj.
10. small and compact.
11. short and concise; briefly summarized: a capsule report.