Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to spangle: arrivederci
1. A small, often circular piece of sparkling metal or plastic sewn especially on garments for decoration.
2. A small sparkling object, drop, or spot: spangles of sunlight.
v. span·gled, span·gling, span·gles
To adorn or cause to sparkle by covering with or as if with spangles: Lights spangled the night skyline.
To sparkle in the manner of spangles.
[Middle English spangel, diminutive of spange, from Middle Dutch, clasp; see (s)pen- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a small thin piece of metal or other shiny material used as a decoration, esp on clothes; sequin
2. any glittering or shiny spot or object
3. (intr) to glitter or shine with or like spangles
4. (tr) to decorate or cover with spangles
[C15: diminutive of spange, perhaps from Middle Dutch: clasp; compare Old Norse spöng]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -gled, -gling. n.
1. a small, thin, often circular piece of glittering metal or other material, used esp. for decorating garments.
2. any small, bright drop, object, or spot.v.t.
3. to decorate or sprinkle with or as if with spangles.v.i.
4. to glitter with or like spangles.
[1375–1425; late Middle English spangele (n.) =spange spangle (perhaps < Middle Low German) + -le -le]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Spanglea star-like cluster or ornamentation.
Examples: spangles of beauty, 1647; of happiness, 1652; of stars, 1893.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: spangled
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spangle - adornment consisting of a small piece of shiny material used to decorate clothing|
adornment - a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
|Verb||1.||spangle - glitter as if covered with spangles|
|2.||spangle - decorate with spangles; "the star-spangled banner"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A. N → lentejuela f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
spangle[ˈspæŋgəl] n → paillette f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Paillette f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995