Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. spe·cial·ized, spe·cial·iz·ing, spe·cial·iz·es
a. To pursue a special activity, occupation, or field of study: a doctor who specializes in cardiology.
b. To provide something in particular or have something as a focus: The shop specializes in mountain-climbing gear.
2. Biology To become adapted to a specific function or environment; undergo specialization.
1. To give a particular character or function to: specialized her field of research.
2. Biology To adapt to a particular function or environment; cause to undergo specialization.
3. Archaic To make specific mention of; specify.
- creperie - A restaurant specializing in crepes.
- abandannad - A pickpocket specializing in bandannas or handkerchiefs.
- cinematheque - A small movie theater specializing in art or classic films.
- academic press - Also called a university press; a publishing house associated with a university or other scholarly institution, specializing in the publication of scholarly books and journals, particularly works written by its faculty.