species(redirected from species difference)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. species
1. Biology A group of closely related organisms that are very similar to each other and are usually capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. The species is the fundamental category of taxonomic classification, ranking below a genus or subgenus. Species names are represented in binomial nomenclature by an uncapitalized Latin adjective or noun following a capitalized genus name, as in Ananas comosus, the pineapple, and Equus caballus, the horse.
2. Logic A class of individuals or objects grouped by virtue of their common attributes and assigned a common name; a division subordinate to a genus.
3. Chemistry A set of atoms, molecules, ions, or other chemical entities that possess the same distinct characteristics with respect to a chemical process or measurement.
4. A kind, variety, or type: "No species of performing artist is as self-critical as a dancer" (Susan Sontag).
5. Roman Catholic Church
a. The outward appearance or form of the Eucharistic elements that is retained after their consecration.
b. Either of the consecrated elements of the Eucharist.
species(ˈspiːʃiːz; Latin ˈspiːʃɪˌiːz)
n, pl -cies
1. (Biology) biology
a. any of the taxonomic groups into which a genus is divided, the members of which are capable of interbreeding: often containing subspecies, varieties, or races. A species is designated in italics by the genus name followed by the specific name, for example Felis domesticus (the domestic cat). Abbreviation: sp
b. the animals of such a group
c. any group of related animals or plants not necessarily of this taxonomic rank
2. (Botany) (modifier) denoting a plant that is a natural member of a species rather than a hybrid or cultivar: a species clematis.
3. (Logic) logic a group of objects or individuals, all sharing at least one common attribute, that forms a subdivision of a genus
4. a kind, sort, or variety: a species of treachery.
5. (Ecclesiastical Terms) chiefly RC Church the outward form of the bread and wine in the Eucharist
6. obsolete an outward appearance or form
7. obsolete specie
[C16: from Latin: appearance, from specere to look]
spe•cies(ˈspi ʃiz, -siz)
n., pl. -cies.
1. a class of individuals having some common characteristics or qualities; distinct sort or kind.
2. the major subdivision of a genus or subgenus, regarded as the basic category of biological classification, composed of related individuals that resemble one another, are able to breed among themselves, but are not able to breed with members of another species.
a. one of the classes of things included with other classes in a genus.
b. the set of things within one of these classes.
a. the external form or appearance of the bread or the wine in the Eucharist.
b. either of the Eucharistic elements.
5. the species, the human race; humankind.
[1545–55; < Latin speciēs appearance, form, sort, kind =spec(ere) to look, regard + -iēs abstract n. suffix]
A group of organisms having many characteristics in common and ranking below a genus. Organisms that reproduce sexually and belong to the same species interbreed and produce fertile offspring. See Table at taxonomy.
Speciesa group of individuals of common parentage; a sort, kind, or variety.
A group of similar organisms that can interbreed and produce fertile offspring.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||species - (biology) taxonomic group whose members can interbreed|
bacteria species - a species of bacteria
variety - (biology) a taxonomic category consisting of members of a species that differ from others of the same species in minor but heritable characteristics; "varieties are frequently recognized in botany"
breed, strain, stock - a special variety of domesticated animals within a species; "he experimented on a particular breed of white rats"; "he created a new strain of sheep"
genus - (biology) taxonomic group containing one or more species
endangered species - a species whose numbers are so small that the species is at risk of extinction
fish species - a species of fish
var., variant, strain, form - (biology) a group of organisms within a species that differ in trivial ways from similar groups; "a new strain of microorganisms"
type species - (biology) the species that best exemplifies the essential characteristics of the genus to which it belongs
|2.||species - a specific kind of something; "a species of molecule"; "a species of villainy"|
نَوْعصِنْف، جِنْس، فَصيلَه
species[ˈspiːʃiz] [species] (pl) n → espèce f
species[ˈspiːʃiːz] n pl inv → specie f inv
species(ˈspiːʃiːz) – plural species – noun
1. a group (of animals etc) whose members are so similar or closely related as to be able to breed together. There are se-veral species of zebra. spesie صِنْف، جِنْس، فَصيلَه биол. вид espécie druh die Art art είδοςespecie liik گونه laji espèceתבלין प्रजाति vrsta, rod fajta spesies tegund specie 種 종 rūšis, giminė suga spesies soortartgatunek دوله espécie specie вид druh vrsta vrsta art สายพันธุ์ tür 種 вид طبقہ، زمرہ loài 种
2. a kind or sort. spesie, soort نَوْع род espécie druh die Art art τύπος, κατηγορίαespecie sugu, sort نوع laji espèceעניין प्रकार, किस्म vrsta, sorta fajta jenis tegund specie 種類 종류 rūšis veids jenisnya soortart, slagrodzaj دوله espécie specie род, разновидность druh vrsta vrsta slag, sort, typ ชนิด tür, cins 種，類 рід, порода نوع، قسم loại, kiểu , hạng 种，类
species→ نَوْع druh art Art είδος especie laji espèce vrsta specie 種 종류 soort art gatunek espécie вид art ชนิดของพืชหรือสัตว์ tür loài 物种
n. especie, clasificación de organismos vivos pertenecientes a una categoría biológica.