arachnoid(redirected from spinal arachnoid)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Anatomy Of or relating to a delicate membrane enclosing the spinal cord and brain.
2. Of, relating to, or resembling arachnids.
3. Covered with or consisting of thin, soft, entangled hairs or fibers resembling those of a cobweb or spider's web.
1. An arachnid.
2. Anatomy A delicate membrane that encloses the spinal cord and brain and lies between the pia mater and dura mater.
[New Latin arachnoīdēs, from Greek arakhnoeidēs, cobweblike : arakhnē, spider + -oeidēs, -oid.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) the middle of the three membranes that cover the brain and spinal cord. See meninges
2. (Zoology) another name for arachnid
3. (Anatomy) of or relating to the middle of the three meninges
4. (Botany) botany consisting of or covered with soft fine hairs or fibres
5. (Zoology) of or relating to the arachnids
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or belonging to the arachnids.
2. of or pertaining to the arachnoid.
3. Bot. formed of or covered with long, delicate hairs or fibers.n.
4. the serous membrane forming the middle of the three coverings of the brain and spinal cord. Compare dura mater, meninges, pia mater.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A web-like membrane: the middle of the three meninges covering the brain and spinal cord.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||arachnoid - the middle of the 3 meninges|
leptomeninges - the two innermost layers of the meninges; cerebrospinal fluid circulates between these innermost layers
|2.||arachnoid - air-breathing arthropods characterized by simple eyes and four pairs of legs|
arthropod - invertebrate having jointed limbs and a segmented body with an exoskeleton made of chitin
Arachnida, class Arachnida - a large class of arthropods including spiders and ticks and scorpions and daddy longlegs; have four pairs of walking legs and no wings
harvestman, Phalangium opilio, daddy longlegs - spiderlike arachnid with a small rounded body and very long thin legs
scorpion - arachnid of warm dry regions having a long segmented tail ending in a venomous stinger
whip scorpion, whip-scorpion - nonvenomous arachnid that resembles a scorpion and that has a long thin tail without a stinger
spider - predatory arachnid with eight legs, two poison fangs, two feelers, and usually two silk-spinning organs at the back end of the body; they spin silk to make cocoons for eggs or traps for prey
acarine - mite or tick
|Adj.||1.||arachnoid - relating to or resembling a member of the class Arachnida|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.