Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to spiritualness: spiritualism
1. Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not material; supernatural: spiritual power.
2. Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul: spiritual guidance; spiritual growth.
3. Not concerned with material or worldly things: led a spiritual life.
4. Of or belonging to a religion; sacred: spiritual practices; spiritual music.
a. A religious folk song of African-American origin.
b. A work composed in imitation of such a song.
2. often spirituals Religious, spiritual, or ecclesiastical matters.
[Middle English, from Old French spirituel, from Latin spīrituālis, of breathing, spiritual, from spīritus, breath; see spirit.]