Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to splenetic: spleen
sple·net·ic(splĭ-nĕt′ĭk) also sple·net·i·cal (-ĭ-kəl)
1. Of or relating to the spleen.
2. Affected or marked by ill humor or irritability.
A person regarded as irritable.
[Late Latin splēnēticus, from Latin splēn, spleen; see spleen.]
1. (Anatomy) of or relating to the spleen
2. spiteful or irritable; peevish
3. (Medicine) obsolete full of melancholy
a spiteful or irritable person
[C16: from Late Latin splēnēticus, from Latin splēn spleen]
adj. Also, sple•net′i•cal.
1. of the spleen; splenic.
2. irritable; peevish; spiteful.
3. Obs. affected with or tending to produce melancholy.n.
4. a splenetic person.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||splenetic - of or relating to the spleen|
|2.||splenetic - very irritable; "bristly exchanges between the White House and the press"; "he became prickly and spiteful"; "witty and waspish about his colleagues"|
ill-natured - having an irritable and unpleasant disposition
adjective (Literary) irritable, cross, bad-tempered, acid, sour, crabbed, sullen, touchy, petulant, spiteful, bitchy (informal), churlish, morose, irascible, tetchy, ratty (Brit. & N.Z. informal), testy, chippy (informal), fretful, rancorous, peevish, crabby, choleric, envenomed retired military men with splenetic opinions