Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
information about a film, book, or TV show that spoils the enjoyment for someone who has not yet seen it
1. One that spoils, especially:
a. A candidate for office whose chances of winning are slight but who may get enough votes to prevent one of the leading candidates from winning.
b. Sports A competitor that has no chance of winning or qualifying (as for a playoff) but defeats and thereby prevents another from doing so.
c. A published piece of information that divulges a surprise, such as a plot twist in a movie.
d. One who seizes spoils or booty: Odysseus, spoiler of cities.
a. A long, narrow hinged plate on the upper surface of an airplane wing that reduces lift and increases drag when raised.
b. An air deflector mounted usually at the rear of an automobile to reduce lift at high speeds.
1. plunderer or robber
2. a person or thing that causes spoilage or corruption
3. (Aeronautics) a device fitted to an aircraft wing to increase drag and reduce lift. It is usually extended into the airflow to assist descent and banking. Compare air brake2
4. (Automotive Engineering) a similar device fitted to a car
5. (General Sporting Terms) sport a competitor who adopts spoiling tactics, as in boxing
6. (Journalism & Publishing) a magazine, newspaper, etc, produced specifically to coincide with the production of a rival magazine, newspaper, etc, in order to divert public interest and reduce its sales
1. a person or thing that spoils.
2. a person who robs or ravages; plunderer.
3. a device used to break up the airflow around an aerodynamic surface, as an aircraft wing, to decrease lift and provide bank or descent control.
4. a similar device on an automobile, designed to reduce lift at high speeds.
5. any competitor or candidate who has no chance of ultimate victory but does well enough to spoil the chances of another.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spoiler - a candidate with no chance of winning but who may draw enough votes to prevent one of the leading candidates from winning|
|2.||spoiler - someone who takes spoils or plunder (as in war)|
war, warfare - the waging of armed conflict against an enemy; "thousands of people were killed in the war"
buccaneer, sea robber, sea rover, pirate - someone who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without having a commission from any sovereign nation
|3.||spoiler - someone who pampers or spoils by excessive indulgence|
|4.||spoiler - an airfoil mounted on the rear of a car to reduce lift at high speeds|
|5.||spoiler - a hinged airfoil on the upper surface of an aircraft wing that is raised to reduce lift and increase drag|
déflecteurréducteur de portance