Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act of despoiling or plundering.
2. Law Unauthorized alteration or destruction of a legal document, such as a contract or will.
[Middle English spoliacioun, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin spoliātiō, spoliātiōn-, from spoliātus, past participle of spoliāre, to despoil; see spoil.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the act or an instance of despoiling or plundering
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the authorized seizure or plundering of neutral vessels on the seas by a belligerent state in time of war
3. (Law) law the material alteration of a document so as to render it invalid
4. (Law) English ecclesiastical law the taking of the fruits of a benefice by a person not entitled to them
[C14: from Latin spoliātiō, from spoliāre to spoil]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Church Law. the taking of property by an incumbent upon resignation or any other departure. See also ships; theft; war.See also: Church
the process of robbing or plundering, especially in time of war and on a large scale. See also church; ships.See also: Theft, War
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spoliation - (law) the intentional destruction of a document or an alteration of it that destroys its value as evidence|
destruction, devastation - the termination of something by causing so much damage to it that it cannot be repaired or no longer exists
|2.||spoliation - the act of stripping and taking by force|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
spoliation[ˌspəʊlɪˈeɪʃən] N → despojo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (liter) → Plünderung f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007