spore(redirected from spore former)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A small, usually single-celled reproductive body that is resistant to adverse environmental conditions and is capable of growing into a new organism, produced especially by certain fungi, algae, protozoans, and nonseedbearing plants such as mosses and ferns.
2. A megaspore or microspore.
3. A dormant nonreproductive body formed by certain bacteria often in response to a lack of nutrients, and characteristically being highly resistant to heat, desiccation, and destruction by chemicals or enzymes.
intr.v. spored, spor·ing, spores
To produce spores.
1. (Biology) a reproductive body, produced by bacteria, fungi, various plants, and some protozoans, that develops into a new individual. A sexual spore is formed after the fusion of gametes and an asexual spore is the result of asexual reproduction
2. (Biology) a germ cell, seed, dormant bacterium, or similar body
(Biology) (intr) to produce, carry, or release spores
[C19: from New Latin spora, from Greek: a sowing; related to Greek speirein to sow]
n., v. spored, spor•ing. n.
1. the asexual reproductive body of a fungus or nonflowering plant.
2. the resting or dormant stage of a bacterium or other microorganism.v.i.
3. to produce or shed spores.
[1830–40; < New Latin spora < Greek sporá sowing, seed, akin to speírein to sow; compare sperm1]
var. of sporo-: teliospore.
1. A usually one-celled reproductive body that can grow into a new organism without uniting with another cell. Spores have only a single set of chromosomes. Fungi, algae, plants that do not bear seeds, and certain protozoans reproduce asexually by spores.
2. A similar one-celled body in seed-bearing plants that develops into either the embryo sac or a pollen grain.
3. A rounded, inactive form that certain bacteria assume under conditions of extreme temperature, dryness, or lack of food. The bacterium develops a waterproof cell wall that protects it from being dried out or damaged.
Past participle: spored
A small reproductive body from which a new organism can grow, such as in nonflowering plants, certain bacteria, algae, and fungi.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spore - a small usually single-celled asexual reproductive body produced by many nonflowering plants and fungi and some bacteria and protozoans and that are capable of developing into a new individual without sexual fusion; "a sexual spore is formed after the fusion of gametes"|
agamete - an asexual reproductive cell
basidiospore - a sexually produced fungal spore borne on a basidium
endospore - a small asexual spore that develops inside the cell of some bacteria and algae
carpospore - a nonmotile spore of red algae
chlamydospore - thick-walled asexual resting spore of certain fungi and algae
oospore - a thick-walled sexual spore that develops from a fertilized oosphere in some algae and fungi
resting spore - a spore of certain algae or fungi that lies dormant; may germinate after a prolonged period
tetraspore - one of the four asexual spores produced within a sporangium
zoospore - an asexual spore of some algae and fungi that moves by means of flagella
fern seed - the asexual spore of ferns that resembles dust; once thought to be seeds and to make the possessor invisible
pollen - the fine spores that contain male gametes and that are borne by an anther in a flowering plant
microspore - smaller of the two types of spore produced in heterosporous plants; develops in the pollen sac into a male gametophyte
macrospore, megaspore - larger of the two types of spore produced in heterosporous plants; develops in ovule into a female gametophyte
aeciospore - spore of a rust fungus formed in an aecium
ascospore - sexually produced fungal spore formed within an ascus
zygospore - a plant spore formed by two similar sexual cells
spore[spɔːʳ] N → espora f
spore[ˈspɔːr] n [bacteria, fungus] → spore f
n → Spore f
spore[spɔːʳ] n → spora
a tiny seedlike cell from which ferns and other types of non-flowering plant grow. spoor خَلِيَّه وَحيدَه бот. спора esporo výtrus die Spore spore σπόρι espora eos هاگ itiö spore נֶבֶג बीजाणु spora, truska spóra spora gró spora 胞子 홀씨, 포자 spora spora spora sporespore zarodnik esporo spor спора výtrus tros spora spor สปอร์ spor 孢子 спора بہت سے نباتات اور خورد حیویوں کا تولیدی خلیہ bào tử 孢子
n. espora, célula reproductiva unicelular.