sporty(redirected from sportiest)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
adj. sport·i·er, sport·i·est
1. Appropriate for sport or participation in sports.
2. Exhibiting sportsmanship; sporting.
3. Flashy; jazzy.
4. Casual, comfortable, and stylish: wore a sporty outfit to school.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
adj, sportier or sportiest
1. (General Sporting Terms) (of a person) fond of sport or outdoor activities
2. (Clothing & Fashion) (of clothes) having the appearance of sportswear
3. (Automotive Engineering) (of a car) having the performance or appearance of a sports car
n, pl sporties
(Peoples) informal Brit a young person who typically wears sportswear, is competitive about sport, and takes an interest in his or her fitness
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
sport•y(ˈspɔr ti, ˈspoʊr-)
adj. sport•i•er, sport•i•est.
1. flashy; showy: a sporty costume.
2. smart in dress or behavior; dashing.
3. like or befitting a sportsman.
4. dissipated; fast.
5. designed for or suitable for sport.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||sporty - exhibiting or calling for sportsmanship or fair play; "a clean fight"; "a sporting solution of the disagreement"; "sportsmanlike conduct"|
|2.||sporty - (used especially of clothes) marked by conspicuous display|
|3.||sporty - appropriate for sport or engagement in a sport|
active - characterized by energetic activity; "an active toddler"; "active as a gazelle"; "an active man is a man of action"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
2. athletic, active, sports-loving, outdoor, energetic, hearty He would go to the ballgames with his sporty friends.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
ham mê thể thao
sporty[ˈspɔːtɪ] ADJ (sportier (compar) (sportiest (superl))) → deportivo, aficionado a los deportes
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[car] → de sport
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
sporty[ˈspɔːtɪ] adj (-ier (comp) (-iest (superl))) (fam) → sportivo/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
sporty→ رِياضِيّ sportovní sporty sportlich αθλητικός deportivo urheilullinen sportif sportski sportivo スポーツ好きの 경쾌한 sportief sporty wysportowany desportivo, esportivo спортивный sportig มีน้ำใจเป็นนักกีฬา sporsever ham mê thể thao 运动员似的
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009