Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to sprat: IRATA
1. Any of various small marine food fishes of the genus Sprattus, especially S. sprattus of the northeast Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean and Baltic Seas, eaten fresh or smoked and often canned as a sardine. Also called brisling.
2. Any of various other fishes of the family Clupeidae, such as a young herring.
[Middle English sprot, spratte, from Old English sprot.]
1. (Animals) a small marine food fish, Clupea sprattus, of the NE Atlantic Ocean and North Sea: family Clupeidae (herrings). See also brisling
2. (Animals) any of various small or young herrings
[C16: variant of Old English sprott; related to Middle Low German sprott, Norwegian sprot small rod]
n., pl. sprats, (esp. collectively) sprat for 1.
1. a herring, Clupea sprattus, of the E North Atlantic.
2. a young or small person or thing.
[1590–1600; variant of earlier sprot, Middle English, Old English, c. Middle Dutch]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sprat - small fatty European fish; usually smoked or canned like sardines|
herring - valuable flesh of fatty fish from shallow waters of northern Atlantic or Pacific; usually salted or pickled
|2.||sprat - small herring processed like a sardine|
sardine - any of various small edible herring or related food fishes frequently canned