Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Water or other liquid moving in a mass of dispersed droplets, as from a wave.
b. A moving mass of particles or projectiles: a spray of bullets.
a. A fine jet of liquid discharged from a pressurized container.
b. A pressurized container; an atomizer.
c. Any of numerous commercial products, including paints, cosmetics, and insecticides, that are dispensed from containers in this manner.
v. sprayed, spray·ing, sprays
1. To disperse (a liquid, for example) in a mass or jet of droplets, particles, or small pieces.
2. To apply a spray to (a surface); hit with a spray.
1. To discharge sprays of liquid.
2. To be directed or dispersed in a spray.
3. Zoology To urinate on various objects as a way of marking territory.
[From obsolete spray, to sprinkle, from Middle Dutch sprayen.]
1. A small branch bearing buds, flowers, or berries.
2. Something, such as a decorative motif, that resembles such a branch.
[Middle English, from Old English *spræg.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sprayer - a worker who applies spray to a surface|
|2.||sprayer - a dispenser that turns a liquid (such as perfume) into a fine mist|
airbrush - an atomizer to spray paint by means of compressed air
dispenser - a container so designed that the contents can be used in prescribed amounts