Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
a. The figure of an eagle with wings and legs spread.
b. The emblem on the obverse of the Great Seal of the United States.
2. A posture or design resembling such an emblem or figure.
1. (Heraldry) the representation of an eagle with outstretched wings, used as an emblem of the US
2. (Skiing) an acrobatic skating figure
1. a representation of an eagle with outspread wings: used as an emblem of the U.S.
2. a skating figure performed with the skates touching heel-to-heel in a straight line and the arms outstretched.
adj., v. -gled, -gling. adj.
1. having or suggesting the form of a spread eagle.
2. lying with arms and legs outstretched.
3. boastful or bombastic, esp. in the display of patriotic pride in the U.S.v.t.
4. to stretch out in a spread-eagle position.v.i.
5. to perform the skating figure of a spread eagle.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||spread eagle - an emblem (an eagle with wings and legs spread) on the obverse of the Great Seal of the United States|
|2.||spread eagle - a skating figure executed with the skates heel to heel in a straight line|
figure - a predetermined set of movements in dancing or skating; "she made the best score on compulsory figures"