Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Positioned with the arms and legs stretched out.
2. Informal Full of patriotic or jingoistic rhetoric.
v. spread-ea·gled, spread-ea·gling, spread-ea·gles
To place in a spread-eagle position, especially as a means of punishment.
1. To assume a spread-eagle position.
2. To make a grandiloquent, patriotic speech.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
lying or standing with arms and legs outstretched
1. to assume or cause to assume the shape of a spread eagle
2. (Ice Skating) (intr) skating to execute a spread eagle
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a representation of an eagle with outspread wings: used as an emblem of the U.S.
2. a skating figure performed with the skates touching heel-to-heel in a straight line and the arms outstretched.
adj., v. -gled, -gling. adj.
1. having or suggesting the form of a spread eagle.
2. lying with arms and legs outstretched.
3. boastful or bombastic, esp. in the display of patriotic pride in the U.S.v.t.
4. to stretch out in a spread-eagle position.v.i.
5. to perform the skating figure of a spread eagle.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
spread-eagle- First described a navy man who was lashed to the rigging for flogging.
See also related terms for rigging.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: spread-eagled
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||spread-eagle - stretch out completely; "They spread-eagled him across the floor"|
|2.||spread-eagle - stretch over; "His residences spread-eagle the entire county"|
|3.||spread-eagle - execute a spread eagle on skates, with arms and legs stretched out|
figure skate - dance on skates
|4.||spread-eagle - stand with arms and legs spread out|
sprawl - sit or lie with one's limbs spread out
|5.||spread-eagle - defeat disastrously|
|Adj.||1.||spread-eagle - with arms and legs stretched out and apart; "lay spread-eagle on the floor"|
extended - fully extended or stretched forth; "an extended telescope"; "his extended legs reached almost across the small room"; "refused to accept the extended hand"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007