Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Positioned with the arms and legs stretched out.
2. Informal Full of patriotic or jingoistic rhetoric.
v. spread-ea·gled, spread-ea·gling, spread-ea·gles
To place in a spread-eagle position, especially as a means of punishment.
1. To assume a spread-eagle position.
2. To make a grandiloquent, patriotic speech.
lying or standing with arms and legs outstretched
1. to assume or cause to assume the shape of a spread eagle
2. (Ice Skating) (intr) skating to execute a spread eagle
1. a representation of an eagle with outspread wings: used as an emblem of the U.S.
2. a skating figure performed with the skates touching heel-to-heel in a straight line and the arms outstretched.
adj., v. -gled, -gling. adj.
1. having or suggesting the form of a spread eagle.
2. lying with arms and legs outstretched.
3. boastful or bombastic, esp. in the display of patriotic pride in the U.S.v.t.
4. to stretch out in a spread-eagle position.v.i.
5. to perform the skating figure of a spread eagle.
spread-eagle- First described a navy man who was lashed to the rigging for flogging.
See also related terms for rigging.
Past participle: spread-eagled
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||spread-eagle - stretch out completely; "They spread-eagled him across the floor"|
|2.||spread-eagle - stretch over; "His residences spread-eagle the entire county"|
|3.||spread-eagle - execute a spread eagle on skates, with arms and legs stretched out|
figure skate - dance on skates
|4.||spread-eagle - stand with arms and legs spread out|
sprawl - sit or lie with one's limbs spread out
|5.||spread-eagle - defeat disastrously|
|Adj.||1.||spread-eagle - with arms and legs stretched out and apart; "lay spread-eagle on the floor"|
extended - fully extended or stretched forth; "an extended telescope"; "his extended legs reached almost across the small room"; "refused to accept the extended hand"