Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A small shoot or twig of a plant.
b. An ornament in this shape.
2. A small brad without a head.
3. Archaic A young, immature person.
tr.v. sprigged, sprig·ging, sprigs
1. To decorate with a design of sprigs.
2. To remove a sprig or sprigs from (a bush or tree).
3. To fasten with a small headless brad.
[Middle English sprigge, alteration of spring, from Old English, source of water.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.