buttress(redirected from springing wall)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A structure, usually brick or stone, built against a wall for support or reinforcement.
2. Something resembling a buttress, as:
a. The flared base of certain tree trunks.
b. A horny growth on the heel of a horse's hoof.
3. Something that serves to support, prop, or reinforce: "The law is by its very nature a buttress of the status quo" (J. William Fulbright).
tr.v. but·tressed, but·tress·ing, but·tress·es
1. To support or reinforce with a buttress.
2. To sustain, prop, or bolster: "The author buttresses her analysis with lengthy dissections of several of Moore's poems" (Warren Woessner).
[Middle English buteras, from Old French bouterez, from bouter, to strike against, of Germanic origin; see bhau- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Architecture) Also called: pier a construction, usually of brick or stone, built to support a wall. See also flying buttress
2. any support or prop
3. something shaped like a buttress, such as a projection from a mountainside
4. (Zoology) either of the two pointed rear parts of a horse's hoof
5. (Building) to support (a wall) with a buttress
6. to support or sustain
[C13: from Old French bouterez, short for ars bouterez thrusting arch, from bouter to thrust, butt3]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a projecting support built into or against the outside of a masonry wall to steady a structure by opposing its outward thrusts.
2. any prop or support.
3. something resembling a buttress in shape or position.
4. a bony or horny protuberance, esp. on a horse's hoof.v.t.
5. to support by a buttress; prop up.
6. to give encouragement or support to.
[1350–1400; Middle English butres « Old French (arc) boterez thrusting (arch)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: buttressed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||buttress - a support usually of stone or brick; supports the wall of a building|
arc-boutant, flying buttress - a buttress that stands apart from the main structure and connected to it by an arch
support - supporting structure that holds up or provides a foundation; "the statue stood on a marble support"
|Verb||1.||buttress - reinforce with a buttress; "Buttress the church"|
|2.||buttress - make stronger or defensible; "buttress your thesis"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
opěrný pilířoporapodpěra zdi
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a support built on to the outside of a wall. stutmuur دَعامَه، رَكيزَه подпора contraforte podpěra zdi der Strebepfeiler støttepille; afstiver αντιτείχισμα contrafuerte tugipiilar پشتواره؛ پشت بند tukipylväs contrefort מִסעַד पुश्ता potporanj támfal penopang veggstuðull, styrktarstoð contrafforte 控え壁 버팀벽 atrama balsts sagang steunbeerstøttepilar, strebepilar przypora درم ، پشتی contraforte contrafort контрфорс, подпорка podpera opornik potpora strävpelare, stöd โครงสร้างที่เป็นส่วนค้ำ payanda, destek 扶壁，撐牆 підпора; опора ٹیک ، پشتی بان trụ tường 扶垛，扶壁
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
n. contrafuerte, resfuerzo, sostén.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012