Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Offensive A Native American woman, especially a wife.
2. Offensive Slang A woman or wife.
[Massachusett squa, younger woman.]
1. (Peoples) offensive a North American Indian woman
2. slang usually facetious a woman or wife
[C17: of Algonquian origin; compare Natick squa female creature]
usage: Definition 1, though rarely used today, is perceived as insulting to Native Americans. Definitions 2a and 2b are used with disparaging intent and perceived as insulting to women. The word is sometimes mistakenly thought to refer literally to the female genitals.—n.
1. Older Use: Offensive. (a term used to refer to an American Indian woman, esp. a wife.)
2. Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
a. (a term used to refer to a wife.)
b. (a term used to refer to any woman or girl.)
[1625–35, Amer.; < Massachusett (E sp.) squa, ussqua woman, younger woman < Proto-Algonquian *eθkwe·wa]
An Algonquian word meaning woman, used, offensively, to mean a Native American woman.