Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to stabilizer: Voltage stabilizer
1. One that makes or keeps something stable: "The New Deal equipped the economy with built-in stabilizers" (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).
2. A device, such as a gyroscopically controlled fin, that prevents excessive rolling of a ship in heavy seas.
3. An airfoil that stabilizes an aircraft or missile in flight.
4. Chemistry A substance that renders or maintains a solution, mixture, suspension, or state resistant to chemical change.
1. (Aeronautics) any device for stabilizing an aircraft. See also horizontal stabilizer, vertical stabilizer
2. (Chemistry) a substance added to something to maintain it in a stable or unchanging state, such as an additive to food to preserve its texture during distribution and storage
3. (Nautical Terms) nautical
a. a system of one or more pairs of fins projecting from the hull of a ship and controllable to counteract roll
b. See gyrostabilizer
4. (Automotive Engineering) either of a pair of brackets supporting a small wheel that can be fitted to the back wheel of a bicycle to help an inexperienced cyclist to maintain balance
5. (Electrical Engineering) an electronic device for producing a direct current supply of constant voltage
6. (Economics) economics a measure, such as progressive taxation, interest-rate control, or unemployment benefit, used to restrict swings in prices, employment, production, etc, in a free economy
7. a person or thing that stabilizes
sta•bi•liz•er(ˈsteɪ bəˌlaɪ zər)
1. one that stabilizes.
2. a device for keeping an aircraft in stable equilibrium, as a horizontal tail surface.
a. a device designed to counteract the roll of a vessel at sea.
b. a gyrostabilizer.
4. any of various substances added to foods, etc., to prevent deterioration, the breaking down of an emulsion, or the loss of desirable properties.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stabilizer - a chemical that is added to a solution or mixture or suspension to maintain it in a stable or unchanging state|
|2.||stabilizer - airfoil consisting of a device for stabilizing an aircraft|
aerofoil, airfoil, control surface, surface - a device that provides reactive force when in motion relative to the surrounding air; can lift or control a plane in flight
horizontal tail - the horizontal stabilizer and elevator in the tail assembly of an aircraft
|3.||stabilizer - a device for making something stable|
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
fin - a stabilizer on a ship that resembles the fin of a fish
gyrostabiliser, gyrostabilizer - a stabilizer consisting of a heavy gyroscope that spins on a vertical axis; reduces side-to-side rolling of a ship or plane
outrigger - a stabilizer for a canoe; spars attach to a shaped log or float parallel to the hull
stabilizer[ˈsteɪbɪlaɪzər] stabiliser (British) n → stabilisateur m
n (Naut, Chem) → Stabilisator m; (Aviat) → Stabilisierungsfläche f; (US Aviat) → Höhenflosse f; (on bicycle) → Stützrad nt
stabilizer[ˈsteɪbəˌlaɪzəʳ] n (Aer, Naut) → stabilizzatore m
n. estabilizador, agente que estabiliza.