trimmer(redirected from stair trimmer)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. One that trims: a window trimmer.
b. A device or machine, such as a lumber trimmer, that is used for trimming.
2. One who changes one's opinions, especially in politics, to suit the needs of the moment.
3. Electronics A variable component used to make fine adjustments to capacity or resistance.
4. Architecture A beam across an opening, such as a hearth, into which the ends of joists can be fitted.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Building) Also called: trimmer joist a beam in a floor or roof structure attached to truncated joists in order to leave an opening for a staircase, chimney, etc
2. (Forestry) a machine for trimming timber
3. (Electronics) electronics Also called: trimming capacitor a variable capacitor of small capacitance used for making fine adjustments, etc
4. a person who alters his or her opinions on the grounds of expediency
5. (Automotive Engineering) a person who fits out motor vehicles
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person or thing that trims.
2. a person who has no firm position, opinion, or policy, adapting to a situation as circumstances may require, esp. in politics.
comparative of trim.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
trimmer- One who sits on the fence or remains neutral about political issues.
See also related terms for sits.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||trimmer - a worker who thins out and trims trees and shrubs; "untouched by the pruner's axe"|
worker - a person who works at a specific occupation; "he is a good worker"
|2.||trimmer - a machine that trims timber |
machine - any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks
|3.||trimmer - capacitor having variable capacitance; used for making fine adjustments|
|4.||trimmer - joist that receives the end of a header in floor or roof framing in order to leave an opening for a staircase or chimney etc.|
joist - beam used to support floors or roofs
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.