Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
position of the body while standing; a mental or emotional position: take a firm stance
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. The attitude or position of a standing person or animal, especially the position assumed by an athlete preparatory to action. See Synonyms at posture.
2. A position or point of view: "Peru ... toughened its stance toward foreign investors" (Abraham Lowenthal).
[French, position, from Italian stanza, from Vulgar Latin *stantia, from Latin stāns, stant-, present participle of stāre, to stand; see stā- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the manner and position in which a person or animal stands
2. (Ball Games, other than specified) sport the posture assumed when about to play the ball, as in golf, cricket, etc
3. general emotional or intellectual attitude: a leftist stance.
4. (Automotive Engineering) Scot a place where buses or taxis wait
5. (Mountaineering) mountaineering a place at the top of a pitch where a climber can stand and belay
[C16: via French from Italian stanza place for standing, from Latin stāns, from stāre to stand]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the position or bearing of the body while standing.
2. a mental or emotional position adopted with respect to something.
3. Sports. the relative position of the feet, as in addressing a golf ball.
[1525–35; < Old French estance (standing) position < Vulgar Latin *stantia, derivative of Latin stant- (s. of stāns), present participle of stāre to stand]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stance - standing posture|
posture, attitude, position - the arrangement of the body and its limbs; "he assumed an attitude of surrender"
address - the stance assumed by a golfer in preparation for hitting a golf ball
attention - a motionless erect stance with arms at the sides and feet together; assumed by military personnel during drill or review; "the troops stood at attention"
|2.||stance - a rationalized mental attitude|
attitude, mental attitude - a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways; "he had the attitude that work was fun"
hard line - a firm and uncompromising stance or position; "the governor took a hard line on drugs"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. attitude, stand, position, viewpoint, standpoint They have maintained a consistently neutral stance.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (lit) → postura f
3. (Scot) (= taxi rank) → parada f (de taxis)
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a person's position or manner of standing, eg in playing golf, cricket etc. staanwyse وَقْفَه поза postura postoj die Haltung holdning στάση asend طرز ايستادن asento positionעמדה मुद्रा, अवस्थिति, दृष्टिकोण položaj za udarac, držanje tijela hely(zet) sikap berdiri staða posizione, atteggiamento 足構え 자세 pozicija stāja posisi berdiri houdingkroppsholdning, fotstillingpozycja postura poziţie стоика; поза postoj položaj stav ställning การตั้งท่า duruş (高爾夫、板球)球員的擊球姿勢 позиція کھڑے ہونے کا انداز tư thế, thế đứng （高尔夫、板球）球员的击球姿势
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.