Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to starer: starter, stater, starrer
v. stared, star·ing, stares
To look directly, fixedly, or vacantly, often with a wide-eyed gaze. See Synonyms at gaze.
To look at directly and fixedly: stared him in the eyes.
An intent gaze.
1. To stare at (a person or animal) until that person or animal blinks or turns away.
2. To confront boldly or overcome by direct action: stared down his opponents.
stare in the face
1. To be plainly visible or obvious to (one); force itself on (one's) attention: The money on the table was staring her in the face.
2. To be obvious to (one) though initially overlooked: The explanation had been staring him in the face all along.
3. To be imminent or unavoidable to (one): Bankruptcy now stares us in the face.
4. To be about to experience or undergo (something dire): We are staring bankruptcy in the face.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||starer - a viewer who gazes fixedly (often with hostility)|
n → Gaffer(in) m(f) (inf)