Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to stave: stave off
a. A narrow strip of wood forming part of the sides of a barrel, tub, or similar structure.
b. One of the wooden planks in a stave wall.
2. A rung of a ladder or chair.
3. A staff or cudgel.
4. Music See staff1.
5. A set of verses; a stanza.
tr.v. staved or stove (stōv), stav·ing, stavesPhrasal Verb:
To crush or smash inward, often by making a hole. Often used with in: "The jetliner had staved in the south side of the structure. The plane had ripped a hole 150 feet wide" (Bill Sammon).
To keep or hold off; repel: "For 12 years, we've sought to stave off this ultimate threat of disaster" (New York Times).
[Back-formation from staves, pl. of staff.]
1. (Building) any one of a number of long strips of wood joined together to form a barrel, bucket, boat hull, etc
2. (Furniture) any of various bars, slats, or rods, usually of wood, such as a rung of a ladder or a crosspiece bracing the legs of a chair
3. any stick, staff, etc
4. (Poetry) a stanza or verse of a poem
5. (Music, other) music
a. Brit an individual group of five lines and four spaces used in staff notation
b. another word for staff19
vb, staves, staving, staved or stove
6. (often foll by in) to break or crush (the staves of a boat, barrel, etc) or (of the staves of a boat) to be broken or crushed
7. (usually foll by: in) to burst or force (a hole in something)
8. (Building) (tr) to provide (a ladder, chair, etc) with a stave or staves
9. (Medicine) (tr) Scot to sprain (a finger, toe, etc)
[C14: back formation from staves, plural of staff1]
n., v. staved stove, stav•ing. n.
1. one of the thin, narrow, shaped pieces of wood that form the sides of a cask, tub, or similar vessel.
2. a stick, rod, pole, or the like.
3. a rung of a ladder, chair, etc.
a. a verse or stanza of a poem or song.
b. the alliterating sound in a line of verse, as the w-sound in wind in the willows.
6. to break in a stave or staves of (a cask or barrel) so as to release the wine, liquor, or other contents.
7. to break or crush (something) inward (often fol. by in).
8. to break (a hole) in, esp. in the hull of a boat.
9. to break to pieces; splinter; smash.
10. to furnish with a stave or staves.
11. to beat with a stave or staff.v.i.
12. to become staved in, as a boat; break in or up.
13. to move along rapidly.
14. stave off,
a. to put, ward, or keep off, as by force or evasion.
b. to prevent in time; forestall: to stave off bankruptcy.
[1125–75; (n.) Middle English, back formation from staves; (v.) derivative of the n.]
Past participle: staved/stove
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stave - (music) the system of five horizontal lines on which the musical notes are written|
musical notation - (music) notation used by musicians
staff line - any of the 5 horizontal marks comprising a staff
space - one of the areas between or below or above the lines of a musical staff; "the spaces are the notes F-A-C-E"
music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner
|2.||stave - one of several thin slats of wood forming the sides of a barrel or bucket|
|3.||stave - a crosspiece between the legs of a chair|
crosspiece - a transverse brace
folding chair - a chair that can be folded flat for storage
feeding chair, highchair - a chair for feeding a very young child; has four long legs and a footrest and a detachable tray
|Verb||1.||stave - furnish with staves; "stave a ladder"|
|2.||stave - burst or force (a hole) into something|
2. (Mus) → pentagrama m
3. (Literat) → estrofa f
stave in VT + ADV (stove in (pt, pp)) → desfondar
in music, a staff. staaf مُدَرَّج موسيقي петолиние pauta notová osnova das Notensystem fem nodelinier πεντάγραμμο noodijoonestik حامل nuottiviivasto portéeמקל तख्ता, डाडा, संगीत, छन्द crtovlje (muz.), strofa a kotta öt vonala bagian partitur nótnastrengur rigo, pentagramma 譜表 보표 penklinė nošu līnija baluk notenbalkfem notelinjertakt pauta portativ нотный стан notová osnova notno črtovje notna linija notplan, notsystem โน้ตเพลง porte 五線譜 нотний стан موسیقی میں پانچ متوازی خطوط جن میں سے ایک یا کسی دو کے درمیان آواز کا چڑھاؤ ظاہر کرنے کے لیے نشان لگا دیا جاءے khuông nhạc 五线谱