Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or practice of steering.
a. The effect of the helm on a ship.
b. The steering apparatus of a ship.
c. The section of a passenger ship, originally near the rudder, providing the cheapest passenger accommodations.
1. (Nautical Terms) the cheapest accommodation on a passenger ship, originally the compartments containing the steering apparatus
2. (Nautical Terms) an instance or the practice of steering and the effect of this on a vessel or vehicle
3. (Automotive Engineering) an instance or the practice of steering and the effect of this on a vessel or vehicle
1. (in a passenger ship) the accommodations for travelers who pay the cheapest fare, usu. providing minimal comfort and convenience.
a. the act or action of steering.
b. management; direction.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||steerage - the cheapest accommodations on a passenger ship|
accommodation - living quarters provided for public convenience; "overnight accommodations are available"
|2.||steerage - the act of steering a ship|
control - the activity of managing or exerting control over something; "the control of the mob by the police was admirable"