Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or practice of steering.
a. The effect of the helm on a ship.
b. The steering apparatus of a ship.
c. The section of a passenger ship, originally near the rudder, providing the cheapest passenger accommodations.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nautical Terms) the cheapest accommodation on a passenger ship, originally the compartments containing the steering apparatus
2. (Nautical Terms) an instance or the practice of steering and the effect of this on a vessel or vehicle
3. (Automotive Engineering) an instance or the practice of steering and the effect of this on a vessel or vehicle
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. (in a passenger ship) the accommodations for travelers who pay the cheapest fare, usu. providing minimal comfort and convenience.
a. the act or action of steering.
b. management; direction.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||steerage - the cheapest accommodations on a passenger ship|
accommodation - living quarters provided for public convenience; "overnight accommodations are available"
|2.||steerage - the act of steering a ship|
control - the activity of managing or exerting control over something; "the control of the mob by the police was admirable"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Zwischendeck nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007